Peggie Hall

Terry Spragg wrote:

Suuuure you do, Terry...and you're always offshore at least 3 miles to
do it, too.

Being offshore has nothing to do with this technical matter.

No...but it is a legal matter. Environmental concerns MAY be
debatable...but all it takes is one person who objects to your actions
to see you doing it to bring you to the attention of law
enforcement...and that can cost you BIG bucks.

Besides, I do not dump "ballast" casually. When neccessary, I wait for
night, and an outgoing tide. The system is capable of the behavoir
described, and preserves options, including about a grand in the bank,
considering the alternatives.

However, on the off-chance that you AREN'T pulling our leg, it may not
be the dumbest idea I've heard this year, but it's a contender--an
excellent way to crack a tank...or worse.

Thank you. I sent you the plans for this system over 3 years ago, I
think. You didn't like it then, either. Scaredy cat. I take no offense,
it's an understandable fear.

I built the tank in poly glass and epoxy for about 50 bucks in
materials, plus leftover scraps, etc. It has been pressure tested to a
head of 4 feet, with no signs of cracking, or even swelling.

It's not necessarily your tank I worry about...it's what's likely to
happen to the typical tank on most boats if the same idea were applied
to it.

Those with an interest in commercially "legal" current defecatory
receptacles have an interest in maintaining the status quo, and press
their disagreeable cases to the maximum extent so as to protect their
market share. Peggy, I believe you are a little conventional in this
regard, having at least a personal bias, apropo simple habit and
possibly genuine misplaced concern and fear for my health.

I have no personal biases, nor concern for your health either...and have
always been open to new ideas. My only concern is whether they'll work
for at least 99% of the boating population. Too many boat owners don't
even know how to flush a marine toilet correctly, and think replacing
the joker valve is the solution to every toilet problem including a
blocked tank vent...they don't even know what "head pressure"
means--they think it has something to do with the toilet.

Besides, why anyone want to go through all that instead of just opening
a thru-hull and pumping a manual pump about 4x is a mystery to
me...unless you just want to be different.

Btw...manual and electric overboard discharge pumps are either bronze or
plastic...I've never seen a metal one. And as for pumping out at an RV
dump station...plenty of trailer boat owners do it. It's a relatively
simple matter to replace an overboard thru-hull with one that's threaded
to accept a macerator pump or hose fitting...the rest is easy.

Wow! Sure feels good to vent. -tk

Even though little of it had to do with the subject.

--
Peggie