Jere Lull

In article ,
"Michelle" wrote:

I'm sure there is a better way but both this and last seasons, the humidity
got the best of us and the interior teak was inundated with mold. We removed
it to the eye but were told not to use any bleaching products on the wood.
There are minute black mold streaks in the wood grain now. We would like to
remove it all.

We planned to sand down everything this Fall and revarnish but does anyone
have any recommendations as to how the wood should be treated before
vanishing? We were also told Murphy's Oil Soap should be used sparingly.

That's all personal preference. Personally, I used a strong TSP solution
to strip the old oils and dirt. Rinse with lots of water. Yes, it'll
raise the grain, but it's probably pretty porous already. It'll also
bring out the highlights of the wood, which can be stunning. A bit of
bleach wouldn't hurt if you want to lighten the interior up.

Trick I learned as a cabinent maker years ago: Sanding sealer first. I
like the lacquer-based version, but that can be tough to find -- and you
really want good ventilation. You'll sand almost all of it off, but it's
quick and easy. That'll leave a smooth surface that'll finish up quickly
and eliminate the nooks and crannies that breed the mold so easily.
Looks good, too.

I prefer spar (exterior) varnish as it fades less and lasts longer. Pics
of the results below. Mold was pretty much gone for a decade.

--
Jere Lull