Doug Dotson

Just to give the other option, our cane is applied from the front with
a piece of trim to cover the spline. Looks nice. I'll send you a digipic
close up if you want.

Doug
s/v CAllista

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Thanks for the instructions. You have prevented me from making a mistake.
:-)

"Graeme Cook" wrote in message
I have the traditional pre-woven octagonal-holed cane that you can buy

from any
craft store. Still looks good after about twelve years.

We have had no problems with things in the locker going bump, although

have
twice had crew members fall through the cane. Simply replace the old

stuff.

We recessed the cane so that the retaining spline is on the back (inside)

of the
doors and hence not normally visible in the yacht. We used following

process:-

* Cut cane webbing about one inch oversize on all edges.
* Thoroughly soak cane (at least overnight) to make it real pliable.
* Squeeze plenty of PVC glue into groove.
* Lay cane in position, and at centre point of one side gently push in a
temporary short spline (One inch)
* Carefully stretch cane and put another temporary spline oposite.
* Repeat for other two sides.
* Using a push stick carefully force cane into grooves.
* Starting from one of the temporary splines, carefully force a

pre-soaked
permanent spline into groove, working around door, removing temporary

splines as
you go. I used a small wooden mallet to knock the spline into the
groove.
* When glue & cane is thoroughly dry cut off excess can flush with

batten. I
used a straight cutter in a spindle molder. A boc cutter was too slow.
* Wave a butane torch over finished can to remove all splinters.
* I then gave it three coats of diluted clear polyurethane. Be real

careful to
sto runs happening.

We occasionally run a damp cloth over cane to keep it clean. Every two

years we
wash with sugar soap and then turpentine and then recoat with two coats
of
diluted polyurethane. (ie cane and door frames).

Fair Winds

Graeme
sv Leonidas