JAXAshby

junnie, those "old wives' tales" come directly from the Petroleum Institute of
America Journal of Apr/May 1921, which I have read in the original.

Have you?

I read it back in 1981, so pardon if I misspelling a word or wo.

when did you read the Journal, junnie? Did you read it in the original or in a
digest?

"Gene Kearns"
Date: 10/5/2004 12:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time
On 01 Oct 2004 01:45:06 GMT,
(JAXAshby) wrote:

You are focusing only on high octane rated "hot rod" fuel, never
mentioned tetra-ethyl lead

the discussion was regarding alcohol.

tetra-ethyl lead came about from reaseach done by General Motors in 1920 on
ways to improve the quality of gasoline

Wrong.

("normal" octane of the times were
about 65, though 100 octane gasoline was produced -- at huge expense -- for

WW1
aircraft engines).

Wrong

Several compounds were found to be useful increasing
"octane rating" of gasoline without super-expense refining. The very best

of
those compounds was tetra-ethyl lead.

Wrong. It was merely the one that was coercively adopted to turn the
maximum profit.

The second best -- by some distance --
was a chemical still commonly used by farmers to reduce fungus growth on

their
crops [sorry I don't recall the name].

Wrong.

the GM vice-president in charge of the
reasearch project left GM at project's end to form The Ethyl Corporation
(apparently with GM's blessing). This was all reported in The Petroleum
Institute of America Journal [Apr/May ? 1921?], an original copy of which I
read in 1981. Find a copy and read it if you wish.

Wrong. Charles Kettering was Vice President of General Motors Research
Corporation. He was President of The Ethyl Corporation. Around 1923,
GM (virtually controlled by) DuPont with Standard Oil (now Exxon)
created The Ethyl Corporation.

Rarely has there been a subject more rife with Old Wives' Tales,
Corporate Greed, and wholesale disregard for the consumer and their
health.....