Capt Lou

Default Boat User Fees Unfair?

I am curious how many towns and cities charge an annual "user fee" even to
boaters docked at private marinas and yacht clubs. The "user fee" is in
addition to excise taxes and mooring fees. The "user fee" seems unfair because
trailer boaters can launch their boats, use the same waterways as the other
boats, and not be charged the "user fee" (although they probably paid a ramp
fee). I also wonder how a municipality can charge a "user fee" for boaters who
use a channel that was dredged with federal funds. The follow up question is if
your city or town charges a user fee, how many boaters don't pay it?

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.