William R. Watt

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:

If I get the feeling that I can't get far enough with Teale's Book, wich one
do you consider to be the best complement?

I got started with TF Jones "Boats to Go" (1990?). Not racers but, light
displacement daysailers, canoes, kayaks, garveys, that "go fsst with low
power". Builds mostly in plywood. Leans toward classic desings.
Experiments with multihulls. Includes many notes about calculations and
materials. He followed up with "New Plywood Boats" in 2000 so the info is
pretty current. www.jonesboats.com. the Dobler 16 on his website is a
large light fast daysailer but not the most comfortable. I think
athwarship seating would impreove it. the seating on the desing (which
isn't his) is used in racing dingy's.

However I have read over 80 books on boatbuilding and design (that's how
many there are in the Ottawa public library system) from which I've made
many notes and photocopies. There's no one book covering all you need to
know on dingy design. the marekt probably isns't big enough to justify
publication. I think it's more economical to put what you know on a
website than to try an publish a book for a limited market. Many people
do that, one of the big benefits of the Internet IMHO.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm