Folklore killer

Marc wrote in Message-id:

OK , I see your point. I have 2 choices. I can keep the combiner and
use only one tap from the charger. The result is a starting battery
that is never optimally charged. Or I can lose the combiner, use both
taps of the charger and get optimally charged battery banks, but have
to deal with the inconvenience of manual switching.

You have a third choice. Ignore know-nothing Doug and listen to the other
posters who all seem to question Doug's "knowledge"

There is nothing wrong with your set-up. Keep it as it is. It is a good set-up.

Replace your engine start battery. That will be the end of your problem.