Wayne.B

Default Gell Batterys

On 26 Nov 2003 17:51:08 GMT, (Florida Keyz) wrote:

Yesterday, I replaced my 8 d battery on the port engine with a gell battery.
Bout the same price, but lighter ,takes up less room, and seems to work fine as
a starting batter.

Got tired of replace that damn heavy batterys every year or so, only time will
tell if I screwed up.

If you need to replace your batteries every year there is either
something wrong with your charging system or with the way you use the
batteries. Gel cells are particularly sensitive to damage from high
charging voltage so I would get that checked immediately. Some other
general longevity tips are to avoid discharging more than 50% (about
11.5 volts with no load), and to recharge as soon as possible. A good
3 stage charging system and a battery monitoring panel will save you a
lot in the long run.

Another tip is to replace your 8Ds with a pair of 6 volt golf cart
batteries wired in series. Same footprint as an 8D although slightly
taller, half the weight (each), more capacity, and usually cheaper.