rhys

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:02:53 -0400, "Dave W"
wrote:

I am a fan of Yanmar engines, have owned three in the past. All were GM
series, two one cylinder and one three cylinder. Is there a reason you have
not listed the GM series for consideration.

Yes, because:

"They are expensive but extremely reliable."

I think you can get a similar level of reliability at less cost, or at
least it's worth investigating. Yanmar are pretty well the 'default
setting" of marine diesel auxiliaries at this point, where, say, a
Perkins 4-107 or 4-108 would be in 1980. So they don't need promotion
from me.

If all alternatives are examined, and Yanmar is the best choice, then
I wouldn't suggest other than a Yanmar. However, alternatives do exist
and I encourage alternatives.

I didn't suggest Volvo, either...beautiful diesels that are usually
reliable, but if they break, you better have a mechanic AND a bank
manager...G

R.