tony thomas

You will need temperatures below 32 degrees before winterizing. If it is
going to get down to 30 or so I would just put it in the garage overnight
and you won't have a problem. You can also hang a light bulb in the engine
compartment overnight to keep it from freezing.

When you finish with it for the year you will want to:
1. Change lower unit oil to ensure no water.
2. Change engine oil to ensure no water.
3. Remove water drains from block and exhaust manifold and allow engine to
drain (leave them out).
4. Remove hoses and allow to drain.
5. Put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

It takes a sustained temperature below freezing to freeze the water in the
block. Getting down to 30 for an hour or so will not do it. And as I said,
a light bulb in the engine compartment is extra insurance. Just make sure
it is not touching anything that will burn.

Also, look for the drain plugs. Should be very easy to remove and reinstall
if you are concerned about it.

--
Tony
My Boats and Cars
"John Cadella" wrote in message
. net...
This is my first season with my 1987 Bayliner Capri cuddy cabin and it has
been running great with the 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0L 4cyl.
We trailer it and launch in both a local fresh water river and a salt
water marina in Connecticut. We are also taking it to Lake George, NY
soon too.

I'd like to use the boat at least til the end of October - When should I
start winterizing the engine and outdrive? Is the first frost when it
needs to be done or do we need to get sustained low 30's evenings?
Thanks,
John