jimmy bittlestone

Default sailing around Britain, Why clockwise?

Hi, I've been invited to sail around Britain next summer with a mate,
however at the moment we are thinking of going anti clockwise, so as
to sail into the wind (west) for the shortest period of time. The
north coast is significantly shorter than the south and there are many
more marinas on the south coast to bolt into should the weather turn,
so we think this sounds reasonable. The rest of the UK sailing
population obviously thinks differently, which has lead me to ask you
good fellows to share this knowledge. As we see it the east and west
coasts will be much the same or am I missing something?...
Do tell...