user

Default Parking Fees

My town's last board meeting discussed parking fees for the currently
free, public boat launch. There is parking for about 60 trucks and
trailers. It is always full and often people don't park properly making
it hard to park or leave.
The proposal was a $5 fee for the vehicle per day. Single axle trailers
less than 20' long another $5. Double axle trailers or single axle
trailers over 20' long, $7.50. The estimate of revenue is $2,000 per
week May-October and $1,000 per weekend mid-March-April and November.
The parking would be free those week days. December-early March would be
free, but doubtful anyone would be there.
The argument I agree with is there needs to be more order in the current
parking situation. I suppose the fees charged will easily cover the cost
of a parking attendant. While it wasn't mentioned, I'd like to see the
leftover money going to improvements in the lakefront area, rather than
lost in the overall budget.
I do think the fees are excessive however. Certainly some people will
not come to our town to eat, shop or buy gas because they will find
another free parking lot within 10 miles on the same lake.
Do any of you pay to park or launch at your public boat launch. If you
didn't now, would you consider these fees excessive? Is there a
difference for residents vs. non-residents?
I plan on writing the town board voicing my opinions, but would like to
know about other peoples opinions first.
Thanks.