Geoffrey W. Schultz

(Rolf) wrote in
om:

OJUNK (NIFFOCBT) wrote in message
I agree. Go with the 4KW unit if you plan on spending time actually
using it for navigation. 2KW is more or less a toy in my opinion.
Like the previous post said. Furuno is traditionally a better
product but is usually more expensive. Raymarine has come a long
way, and their product has been pretty solid for a few years now.
JRC is very good also. They are much cheaper than Furuno and
Raymarine with about the same reliability as the Raymarine (All of
this is my opinion of course). Good luck and Safe sailing

Brian

Ft. Lauderdale
Remove NOJUNK from Email for responses via email.

Thank you every body for the clear information.
Now can we have the same level of information on color vs monochrome?
Is color merely the same information on a prettier display?

One thing that you need to consider is whether or not you're going to
get a unit with chart plotter capabilities. If you're going with a
straight radar, then B&W is fine.

From what I saw at the Newport boat show, the majority of manufactures
are combining chartplotter capability into their radar systems. Or is it
visa versa? The additional cost of doing this is fairly minor, and the
cost of daylight viewable displays seems to have dropped precipitously
over the past year.

I find that color does a much better job of quickly separating types of
data than does B&W. When stuff is hitting the fan I want to be able to
quickly glance at the display and know that the radar returns are in
magenta, land is yellow, etc, etc and not have to parse shades of grey.

-- Geoff