noah

Default Idle Mixture on OMC inboard w/ Rochester 2bbl carb

On 8 Jul 2003 11:30:04 -0700, (Kip) wrote:

I just finnished a rebuild of the Rochhester 2bbl on my OMC 4.3 liter
V6.
This is on a Wellcraft 18 ft boat. Everything went very well with all
the carb adjustments but the idle mixture setting is not very specific
in the manual.
per a local OMC dealer I set the idle screws to 1 1/2 turns out. Idles
OK but could be better.

Some say turn in till you get a drop in rpm then out 1/4??
I have heard various methods.

Any advise on the best technique?

Thanks

Kip

Kip- your method, and Calif Bill's method, are both good. I usually
take it a step further and idle the boat, in gear, in the water (with
a driver, of course ). You can then tweak the mix a little to get
the smoothest idle under load. You may have to change the idle speed
setting a little to compensate for the mix adjustment.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats