modervador

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
yo-yo, octane has -- be definition -- an octane rating of 100. check it out.

I said "the octane rating of normal octane, ... is, less than zero."
And I begged you a second time to look up the octane rating of
iso-octane.

Iso-octane and normal octane are not the same length. The octane
rating scale is based on 0 for normal heptane, 100 for iso-octane
(2,2,4 trimethyl pentane). On that scale, normal octane scores less
than normal heptane, less than zero.

%mod%

(modervador)
Date: 9/30/2004 12:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time
(JAXAshby) wrote in message
the octane rating of normal octane, ... is, less than zero.

wtf???

That is correct. Less than zero. Less than the rating assigned to
normal heptane.

I gave you a big hint when I said to look up octane numbers for
"normal octane", "normal heptane" and "iso-octane" (a.k.a.
2,2,4-trimethyl pentane).

Here's another hint (in form of questions): which is better as diesel
fuel, octane or cetane? Which has higher octane number, heptane or
propane? Can we make any generalizations about long vs. short chain
alkanes and their branched isomers?

%mod%