Brian Cleverly

"William R. Watt" wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" ) writes:

In my application, could give a hoot less about the voids since the ply was
strictly core material, the glass carries the load.

the voids are where the rot begins. heat and moisture in those tiny air
spaces.

I've recently carved up 6 sheets of 1/2" MDO and didn't come across
anything even resembling a void. Granted I didn't cut it into teeny
pieces but many of them were relatively small enough that I would have
expected to find a void were there any.

Actually I like it, at least the stuff I've used. All plies are even
thickness.

MDO plywood means "meduim density overlay". I read that it refers to a plastic
coating.

The coating is paper and there are 2 versions of that I'm finding. The
brown coating soaks upo epoxy like a sponge and I doubt it would itself
be waterproof. The green coating seems to be already resin coated as
epoxy will not penetrate it.

It was developed for highway signs, those big ones you see on the
freeways, to be weather resistant. The main advantage is the nice smooth
surface for interior walls, er, bulkheads.

I've used it for decks (glass covered) on power boats with no problems.

Brian Cleverly

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm