Karl Denninger

In article ,
Wayne.B wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:11:50 GMT, (Karl
Denninger) wrote:
During Ivan I was at a dock with a passel of lines spider-webbing my boat in
place. Post-storm when I returned to the (safely tied up and undamaged)
vessel my chafe gear on the lines that took the predominant load from the
east winds was severely damaged. For chafe gear I use cut-up fire hose -
arguably the toughest stuff around for that purpose.

Did you use anchors to spring the boat away from the dock pilings?
Boats rubbing against pilings, or worse yet, riding over a piling top,
seem to be one of the main sources of damage for boats that did not
break loose.

No.

There was no point where I was - I was able to secure the boat away from the
pilings, and if the surge had lifted the lines off, I was screwed anyway.

Its all situational... sometimes you do one thing, sometimes something else,
depending on where you are and which way you think the winds are going to
come from..... (or multiple directions depending on what quadrant is going
to "get" you)

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://divegearregistration.com REGISTER DIVE GEAR TO PROTECT AGAINST THEFT