Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:43:50 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Alan Parr" wrote in message
. com...
I am interested in learning to navigate, but am wondering where to
start. Basic questions I have include:

- where can I buy dividers, compass and charts (e.g. St. Croix river
area),

Online at www.westmarine.com or www.boatus.com (same company, actually -
the former owns the latter). The major diff is that if you walk into a West
Marine store, you can have a catalog for free. At BoatUS, they insult you by
charging you fourteen bucks for a catalog.

- is there a recommended class (online or distance learning) for
navigation this winter, and
- in the long-term is there a certification for pilot or navigator
that is worth obtaining for cruising?

Not sure where the St. Croix river is. But, if you've got a Coast Guard
station anywhere nearby, give them a call and ask about Power Squadron
classes. They're usually given at local high schools, fire halls, churches,
or other hideously overheated placed. Well worthwhile, though.

ROTFL!!!!

I helped a friend with a Nav course last winter and it was held in a
Holiday Inn conference room.

On a Sunday.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

With the Greater Hartford Nigerian Christian Evangelical Church
services being held three conference rooms down the hall.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

With drums - BIG drums.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

Not a drum set, but REAL African drums.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

And what sounded like a Hammond B3.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

With a Leslie.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

And a band with guitars and four Marshall amps.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

And a bass player.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

And a preacher who made up for his lack of singing ability with a LOT
of enthusiasm.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

Overheating wasn't the major problem. :)

(AMEN!!!!)

Later,

Tom
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653