Peggie Hall

Default On Topic: Fighting SPAM, here and in email

I've used the freeware version of Mailwasher, which I got before the Pro
version was available, and for which I made a $20 "donation," for about
a year. I've also been very pleased with it. It occasionally mistakes a
legitimate email for spam--for instance, I've made *free* a wildcard,
which caused it to bounce an email from a friend whose last name is
Freeman)...but that was easily overcome by adding his email address to
the "friends" list.

I prob'ly have at least 200 wildcard expressions, domain names and
subject line filters in place...and I just keep adding on as necessary.
Since spammers continually change domain names and email addresses, I've
also configured it to delete those that don't show up again within 90
days, which keeps the list down to a manageable size.

However, it seems to me that if I can cut spam by 90% with a freeware
program, ISPs have the technology to do it before it ever gets to our
mail servers. And it shouldn't require any filtering...only bouncing
everything to 10+ addresses from the same sender. Legitimate senders who
want to send new baby announcements etc to half the world would still be
able to do it by just limiting 'em to batches of 9 at a time. Prob'ly
wouldn't be foolproof, but would get rid of 90% of spam...and have the
added benefit of clogging up the spammers' servers with their own junk
coming back to 'em.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"