William R. Watt

Brian Nystrom ) writes:
Matt Langenfeld wrote:

Best one can do is buy their materials from companies that reduce the
impact on the environment...

...and build durable boats that will last for decades.

that's an enviable sentiment, unfortunately people's intitial enthusiasm
over recreational boating usually doesn't last and the boats become
neglected. the urban and rual shorelines where I paddle are littered with
neglected dirty boats. in that respect a lot of wood that goes into
recreational boats is wasted, no matter what the quality of material or
construction. there should be a better way of utilizing scarce resources.
I think the more money people have to spend on recreation, the more rare
and expensive materials will be wasted. Perhaps those of us who build
small and cheap using recyled materials are on a better environmental
path.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm