Doug Dotson

I believe the one I took apart was a Delco. It was given to me
by an alternator shop just for that purpose. It had been discarded
as unrepairable.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
90% of the alternators in use have brushes. You pay a LOT extra for a
brushless alternator. Electrodyne, Niehoff, Denso and Delco all make
brushless alternators but you pay a premium for them. I lucked up on a
250
amp brushless Niehoff and a normal Leece-Neville as spare.

In a brushless the stator and the field coil are both mounted in the case.
The rotor is just a piece of iron with a finger pattern. The field coil
induces a magnetic field in the rotor which generates AC current in the
Stator coil.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
news
Some alternators have a stationary field coil excited by
residual magnetism. The one I disected must have been one
of those.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:20:23 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

... charge controller. It's just connected to the field brush terminal

of
the regulator.

Alternators don't have brushes

You might be right!...... but then, how does the current get from the
rotor to the outside of the alternator??? Hmmmmm?

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/
Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where
Southport,NC is located.