Glenn Ashmore

From everything I can find plantations are almost insignificant in Gabon's
Okoume production. About 60% of Gabon's forests are under logging
concessions. (12,000,000 hectares of a total 22,000,000) So far I can
find data on only 12 plantations totaling about 800,000 hectares. The
oldest of which is about 18 years old and just starting its first major
harvest.

Don't get me wrong. I am no tree hugger and intend to continue using my
share of okoume where it is called for but it is always a good idea to know
where your wood comes from and how it is effecting the local economy and
ecosystem.

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message

According to Shelman Marine, a major manufacturer of okoume plywood,
nearly all of the okoume on the market comes from plantation grown
trees. It seems that whatever old growth okoume there is on the market
is a by product of development, not of deliberate logging.