Nicholas B

Meranti...

Use it if you will. But remember that your boat is contributing to
deforestation in Borneo. Your pleasure... will be at someone's cost.

Nicholas

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

In "New Plywood Boats" TF Jones gives the weight of 5mm okume marine
plywood as 1/2 pound per square foot, which is the same weight as lauan
underlayment which I think is 5.22mm. They may not be the same thickness
but would be substituted for each other in small boats.

In "Dingy Building" Richard Creagh-Osboren gives the following weights for
boatbuiding timber, not plywood, but probalby close enough ..

okume 25 lb/cu ft
lauan 37 lb/cu ft
meranti 25-45 lb/cu ft

I thought meranti was a type of lauan but I was wrong. Like lauan, meranti
seems to be a species of tree with different varieties used, two mentioned
by Creagh-Osborne are Borneo red Sereya and Oba Suluk. Confusing for the
boatbuilder.

For comparison, douglas fir is 33 lb/cu ft

the above weights are within a pound of what is listed in "Skene's
Elements" for the one's given in Skene's. not all are there.
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community
network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm