Dave Baker

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:41:11 GMT, "Doug" wrote:

I have installed a couple of the Furuno units for commercial customers.
Gyrocompass interfacing has to be looked into on larger vessels and so does
the External GPS.

Yeah, that's going to be a hassle. Quotes for gyro interfaces are a bit
worrying - US$455 for Furuno gyroconverters. I did hear that there are some
cheaper Chinese units, but haven't done any research there yet.

Also have to grab a large connection of plugs to hook into the main gps unit
on the boats I guess.

I will
interfacing one soon with a Furuno AC120 GPS Compass instead of a gyro and
am anxious to see how that works out.

We have been using a similar product - the CSI Wireless Vector Lite unit, for
a few months now. It's not hooked into AIS, but is used on drilling rigs that
we move around a lot. It's a lot easier than lugging around a portable gyro
unit all the time! :-) Accuracy has been great, and reliability also
excellent.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.