Scott McFadden

Default Get the Manatees off the endangered list

Harry Krause wrote in message ...

The *fact* of the matter is, you're simply spreading boater propaganda
here, regarding manatees, rather than posting any sort of acceptable
science.

You're entitled to do that, of course,

Just what is it that you can provide?

Let me guess:

Anecdotal observations from a part-time, carpet bagger?

The fact is that there is no accurate census on manatees now. There are
guesses, that is all. I've read some of the reports that detailed some
of the census techniques, and these are laughable, at best.

I agree.

As someone with a background in aerial photogrammetry I can say that
the FFWCC "surveys" are about as "accurate" as a blind-folded man
throwing a dart at a dart board. If the FFWCC wants to go into any
kind of judicial or administrative hearings based upon their absurd
"surveys" I can demolish them, in short order.

So, there has never been any "evidence" that the manatee is (was)
going "extinct" or, that their population is (was) even declining.

But, as we have seen, it is now oh so "fashionable" to be an STM'er.
It makes folks, who have never and probably will never see a manatee,
"feel" oh so good about themselves. "Look at me, I love the manatee"

I understand you can even get yourself a STM bumper sticker so you can
show other folks how good you "feel" about yourself.

There's more at play here than manatees, of course. There's the issue of
high boat speeds, enormous boat wakes, careless boater behavior, driving
a boat while under the influence - these are all issues, along with
protecting manatees - that play into efforts to control the speed at
which boats are operated in the more protected Florida waters.

Harry, things are getting so bad here in the summer-time I rarely go
boating on weekends during that time of year. When I do it's a early
start and things are all wrapped up by noon-time.

The idiots and drunks sleep late on weekends, thank God.

That said, using the "manatee" is disingenuous, at best, as a "cover"
for other totally unrelated problems.

You want some less restrictive regs that "protect" manatees? Then work
harder to prosecute irresponsible boaters.

No, we are going after STM, as they are FOS.

For quite awile, no one wanted to look like the "bad guy" and oppose
protections for the manatee. That has changed. The "bad guys" (which
I'm a proud member of) have had enough and, are going to fight back.
--
SJM
http://www.standing-watch.org/