Brent Geery

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:04:38 -0400, "Windjammer"
wrote:

"Adam" wrote in message ...
I'm planning to install small refrigerator on my boat - ~4cu.ft.

This kind of household appliance is about $100, marine refrigerator is

about
$800

What makes different almost $700?

Adam,

I too wondered why I could not buy a small bar type fridge and install it on
the boat. It may rust a bit quicker, but if some care was taken to coat
exposed surfaces, life could hopefully be extended.

The problem may be in the power needed. I looked in the back of a cheap
unit the other day - there does not appear to be a motor, so it would have
to be powered directly with 110v. This would mean adding an invertor for use
on 12v. The average power needed is quite low, but the peak may be quite
high. A good inverter may cost $300, so not much of an idea unless you
already have the inverter.

I suspect that the difference in cost may be in the quality of the units - I
am sure that a good bar fridge like a Danby costs a lot more than $100.

Buy $100 bar frig. Buy a BD35F (or 50, 80, 150) 12VDC Danfoss
compressor. Have new compressor swapped into bar frig.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king.