JR North

Default On Topic: Fighting SPAM, here and in email

It's also necessary to have good spam and virus filtering at
the ISP and 3rd party email account level. My Bigfoot
account, after going through Bigfoot's filtering, goes
through my local ISP filtering. The result is, although I
post to usenet with a valid Email address, I receive less
than 5 spams per day. I filter out all the Korean junk and
the usual offensive headers and ISP sources. Small, local
ISPs usually have better filtering than the big box
accounts, who just may be *adding* spam to your account.
If your ISP is forwarding alot of spam to you, you're not
being served well....
My local ISP (Seanet) has up-to-the-minute virus filtering,
and will forward all infected Emails with the virus or worm
stripped, flagged and identified.
MY .02

JR

Harry Krause wrote:

There seems to be some interest here in dealing with usenet and email
SPAMmers.

For email, I block "incomings" that have the usual offending subject
matters in their headers ('Inet user' is a good one to block at the
moment), and I also block a number of ISPs, including all mail from:

juno.com
netmail.com
puremail.com
freemail.com
bigfoot.com
toursydney.com.au

These ISPs got on my blocked list because of the frequency of SPAM
coming from their direction.

I also block individual emailer spammers, such as:

If I get more than a half-dozen SPAMs from rocketmail.net, it, too, will
go on the blocked ISP list.

If you've got one of the newer cell phones that allow web browsing and
usenet posting, you have to be sure to munge your email address, else
your cell phone email account will be deluged with SPAM. I have one of
those phones, but I don't use the internet features at all. But I've
read a lot about users whose phone email accounts get more SPAM than
their home/office email accounts.

There's a move afoot to publish a directory of cell phone numbers.
Hopefully, we'll be able to keep whatever cell phone numbers we want
away from such a directory and from directory service.

*This* aspect of technological wizardry is not an advance.

--
Email sent to
is never read.

Home Page: