Peggie Hall

Adam wrote:
I'm planning to install small refrigerator on my boat - ~4cu.ft.

This kind of household appliance is about $100, marine refrigerator is about
$800

What makes different almost $700?

At least one of the reasons is, marine versions are "dual voltage."
Household refrigerators can only use 115vAC power, requiring a
connection to shore power, generator or external inverters in the boat's
electrical system. Marine/rv versions have the necessary circuitry,
inverters etc built in to use either 115v or 12v/DC power. Whether
that's enough to account for all of the price difference may be
debatable. Whether the ability to run a refrigerator off your boat's
house battery while away from the dock is worth that much extra money is
up to you.

Apparently dual voltage circuitry accounts for at least 90% of the
additional cost...'cuz there's only about $200 difference between the
price the smallest dual voltage models and the biggest double door full
size models.

--
Peggie