engsol

Mark,
Thanks for the input. Not a bad idea, except that it requires
that the hull in that section have a constant radius. Agree?
Norm B

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:07:42 -0500, Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:10:21 -0700, engsol
wrote:

Now that I have a boat, I need to replace a couple of
gate valves used as seacocks.

Nigel Calder et all recommend using a wood block and bronze
bolts to secure the seacock to the hull, rather then simply
screwing it to the through hull. Makes sense to me.

The diagrams all show a perfectly flat hull, but as we all know,
real hulls are generally curved. My question is: what's the
best way to contour the wood block (actually a ring) to conform
to the hull? Any hints?

Thanks, Norm B

You could contact cement a sheet of 50 grit sandpaper to the inside of
the hull where the seacock will go. Then just rub the wood block back
and forth till it fits the curve of the hull.
It will be rough but bedding compount will get a better grip on it.
Or switch to finer sandpaper but that really isn't necessary.
Mark E. Williams