Brian Whatcott

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:41:39 GMT, "Tony Abbott"
wrote:

Question about prop and shaft rotations... we have twin engines with
counter rotational engines, 1 clockwise, 1 counter clockwise.... we also
have a LH prop and a RH prop currently not on the shafts... thus the
question...

Trying to confirm that a clockwise turning shaft in forward gear needs a LH
prop and thus a TH prop would go on a counter-clockwise turning shaft in
forward gear... can someone confirm my thoughts???

Thanks for any and all responses... and no I am not the one who removed the
props and failed to record which one came off which side...

Here is your difficulty: a clockwise turning shaft, looking forward,
is a counter clockwise turning shaft, looking aft.
For aircraft certainly, the convention is to use the pilot's view,
looking forward, to decide which direction a prop is turning.

Anyway, looking forward, a prop shaft turning clockwise takes a prop
which turns clockwise in forward gear.

Perhaps it would help you to consider a regular wood screw. These are
screwed clockwise. So if you set the point of a wood screw forwards,
the edges of the screw are angled in the same direction as a RH prop.
The head of a woodscrew turns clockwise to screw into wood, and a
RH prop turns clockwise to screw forwards into water.

Clear as mud? I thought so!

Brian W