bb

Default Get the Manatees off the endangered list

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:56:49 GMT, "Capt. Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

The point is: there are more then 4000 of the supra nourished herbivores
in the St. Johns River in the September Census.

So, are you saying 4,000 is to many? How many do you think is a
reasonable number for a river system?

I do not have the
numbers for south FL and Tampa Bay. Perhaps you can provide them and add
the two together. At what point does the population become so large that
it becomes viable?

I have no idea how many are around the Tampa Bay area. I do know I
fish in and around TB on a regular basis and I always enjoy it when I
see them around.

Are you suggesting we should stop protecting them when they reach a
viable population?

When does a creature no longer need special
endangerment protection.

I'm guessing when we run out of fossil fuel and bring our own
population into some kind of control.

Manatees are still a protected species, they
won't lose that status-ever!

So are people. What's your beef with sharing the planet were both
stuck on?

The current protection zones are working.

IYO.

In Jacksonville and other cities on
the river, we don't need or want the draconian measures the F&G C are
planning.

You assume you speak for everyone in those cities. I'm sure you
don't. Certainly there are many people the prefer manatees over
boats.

My cruiser barely planes
at 25.

So?

The sea cow doesn't even like the water in the channel because 1.
its too deep. The cow don't like water more then 8 or 9 feet deep.

So how do they get from one shoal area to the next?

2.there is too much current for it to squat on the bottom. It would be
washed out to sea.

Yeah, ok, that must be why they are commonly found drowned offshore,
eh?

3 No food there. Fat cow don't go where there is no
food (period).

Ever? Not even to get to other feeding areas? Amazing concept.

Increasing the buffer zones from 1000 feet to 3000 feet
is just plain nuts.

Link?

Ask a homeowner in Ocala which is near silver springs, fl what they
think about the cute little monkeys running all over town and getting
into mischief.

And this is related to the manatee issue how?

McManatees---Billions and billions spent. Lets waste more money.

You show me how may billions we've wasted on manatees and I'll show
you how much we've wasted on Iraq.

I just don't mind modifying my actions just a little bit so another
animal can live and survive. Maybe that's where we're different.
bb