dixon

"Paul" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
After taking the boat out just a few times this your I couldn't crank the
engine anymore. Replaced the starter, removed all spark plugs, cranked and
fount all cylinders in a 5L V8 OMC 305 engine flooded. Pumped out water,
flushed cyl. (sprayed inside the cylinders and cranked) with WD-40 few

times
until dry and finally sprayed 1 can of fogging oil into all 8 cylinders. I
pulled the intake manifold and there is lots of rust in the intake

passages
in both, intake manifold and both cylinder heads. Since all 8 cyl. were
flooded at the same time with fresh water I do not suspect exhaust.
(verified by creating a closed loop coolant system and eliminating exhaust
altogether). Same issue. I also noticed rust on the bottom of the carb (4
barrel). My suspect is a leak between cooling passages and cylinders

intakes
in the intake manifold. Can't also imagine how a cracked block would flood
all 8 cyl. at once. Please indicate how to test, diagnose the problem. Any
thoughts on the intake idea?
Thx,
Paul

I had the same problem this year in my boat. I have 454 chevys. Water was in
several cyls. last fall when we winterized. We run it clean and fogged it
heavy. In the spring both motors had water in several cylinders again. There
was even 3 or 4 qts. of water in the oil in both motors. The problem was the
boat cover over time lost its waterproof qualities and rain water was able
to run on the motors. The air cleaners are poorly designed for water running
on the top air cleaner cover. Water will run into the wire screen elements
and into the carbs. After discovering this I now put plastic bags over the
air cleaners after use and have had no more water trouble. A better answer
would be to put another type of air cleaner top on ( bigger than the orig).
Maybe a china cap type thing.
Dixon