Harry Krause

Default Composite stringer grids, redux

Rich Stern wrote:

Is this a recent or past observation? Do you have an example? Polar makes

wide range of boats, in plants owned by different organizations.

The polar skiffs that are built to compete with the carolina skiffs have
suffered from hull cracks

What does that mean? What type of cracks? Structural cracks on the transom?
Gelcoat cracking on the pad? An epidemic of 3 of every 5 boats produced? 2
out of 100? Did they split while on the trailer? In rough water use?

A small fleet of Polar skiffs were purchased by an inshore bait, tackle
and boat rental business on the ICW in NE Florida. These boats were not
used on open waters. Within 90 days, cracks developed in the liners that
also served as the deck over the flotation in the bottom of the hulls. A
guide I know, one whose boats and engines are supplied to him by
manufacturers, also had a Polar skiff go bad on him for the same reasons
-liner and then hull fractures. Now, I'm not talking about hull side
liners, because these boats don't have any. But they do have a false
floor, so to speak, underneath which is flotation and hull stiffening
assembly. There also were problems with the consoles and seats
separating from the hulls.

Whether this is endemic to the Polar line, I don't know. They're pretty
cheaply made boats, though, and as rough and ready as Carolina Skiffs
are, the Polars I've seen seem shabbier.

--
Email sent to is never read.