Mac

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:39:25 -0700, Conrad Hartmann wrote:

Thank you to those that have responded.

If I were to repair a hull, say a sail boat or a regular power boat,
what would best to use: West System (Epoxy solution) or the Vinyl
Ester Solution?. Are there advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks.

Edgar

Honestly, I don't know much about vinyl esters.

It is definitely a common practice to use epoxy as a resin to repair older
fiberglass boats originally built with polyester resin. I believe you will
be safe if you do this, assuming the work is done correctly.

In another recent thread, various people weighed in with the opinion that
perfectly acceptable repairs of such boats can be made with polyester. I
don't doubt that this is true.

Personally, I would use West System epoxy because I am familiar with it. I
am not an industry professional, but I have done repairs with West System
epoxy, and have not had problems.

Good luck!

--Mac