Skip Gundlach

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Details of the snubber itself as well as it's deployment would be
appreciated.

Cordially,
Courtney

In the case of the chain grabber of the prior discussions, you hook it into
the chain before you're finished running out the rode, and pay out the two
lines from the cleats until you have enough. That provides a
shock-absorbing snubber

In our case, the nylon rode with the chain hook as snubber, I hook the chain
hook on led out through the chock and take a single turn around the cleat so
I can maintain tension on the chain as it pays out. When I get enough out
(I usually use it all - perhaps 50 feet - I cleat it off, and then let out
another 10' or so of chain and use my caribiner (again as described in other
threads as my on-board stopper) as security against a pull against the
gypsy. The added length of chain makes it largely stay under water, unless
the pull is very strong. You could also do what many do for docking
snubbers and add a rubber length with several twists of line around it,
exiting both ends in line, providing the rubber stretch in addition to the
much stronger nylon stretch. Because I use so much length on my nylon, I've
not found it necessary. Of course, I also use a great deal more scope than
many ("ain't drug yet!")...

In any event, there's no sensation of yanking due to all the nylon rode, but
it's an all-chain rode in the event of severe conditions (severe enough to
part the nylon rode snubber). Effectively what I've got is a very long
chain leader to a nylon rode, vs the common 10-20-30 feet of chain followed
by nylon The only downside (which would be cured with the chain grabber,
which is symmetrical) is the slight port offset due to the actual pull on
the boat being from the single cleat rather than the anchor roller.

Retrieval is with the chain gypsy, and I just pay it in and coil the nylon
as I go. When the hook arrives at the roller, I take it off and complete the
retrieval.

HTH

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Rick Itenson wrote:

A good long nylon snubber is essential with an all chain anchor
system. It eliminates the "snatching" when you bounce up and down, it
takes the strain off the windlass, and it adds some elasticity to the
line not to mention the lack of clacking. I use a 30 ft snubber,
increasing the length as the conditions worsen. Usually only 10 feet
or so's out.
Rick Itenson
Breathless
Toronto