TomT

"John" wrote:

Wow, John, what a good bunch of responses you've gotten. I'll throw
my two cents in too. It may be redundant but I've found if something
is said in different ways it often helps the learning process.

Yesterday I went out to sail my 13' boat, for what might be about the last
day this year. It is pretty narrow with big sails (a Starwing) and the wind
was rather stronger than forecast, about 15-20. That is way too strong for
me, so I didn't use the jib. In hindsight I should have reefed the main,
but that takes too long.

Well I guess you now know the advantages of a balanced boat.

Had real problems on jibes and tacks. On tacks the boat would just stall
out, and I had to wait for a wind shift to help me out. That never happens
with my jib up. Any tips, or is it just a problem with not using the jib.

Every type of boat is different of course. Trying not to repeat what
others have written and hoping it works on your boat:

Try a constant *pressure* on the helm (tiller). Very little helm at
first, then slowly increasing helm as the boat slows and turns. Don't
go past about 40 degrees of rudder. Ease the main as the boat goes
through the "eye" of the wind then, as you complete the tack, ease it
back in and straighten the helm out so the boat can accelerate.

Too much helm and/or keeping the main in tight while tacking in strong
winds (especially without a jib) will keep you from being able to fall
off (turn away from the wind) and complete your tack. The main wants
to head you up into the wind - - - good for the start of a tack, bad
for the last half of a tack. As you found, a jib will help cover for
any improper technique which is only magnified in strong winds. (And
the technique will probably be a little different in strong winds
too.)

If you're stuck in irons (head to wind) you'll have to back out of
trouble. Push the main boom and the tiller in the direction you want
the bow to be pointed. Not too much rudder for the same reason you
don't want too much when going forward - - - it's a big speed break
and you must be moving for it to be effective. The mainsail will try
to point into the wind. To do this it will have to pivot the boat
away from the eye of the wind and in the direction you want to go.
You're backing around and the rudder and mainsail are working
together. When you're headed in the right direction and you think you
can sail close hauled, pull the main in slowly and straighten the
rudder out. If you pull the main in too fast the boat will head up
into the wind again because there won't be enough speed for the rudder
to counter the tendency. You can practice this in light air as well.

With a jib the same technique works but it must go out to the opposite
side the main is pushed out to so it can be "backwinded". For
instance if you want to fall off to starboard, pull the jib in on the
port side and it will fill on the "wrong" side (be backwinded) and
push the bow around to starboard. Actually, you can probably get out
of irons with a jib alone as long as you leave the mainsheet slack and
the helm is amidships (centered) or pushed over slightly in the
direction you want to go.

The jibes were much worse. The boom swung around violently, and the boat
nearly capsized twice. Again, I have never had that problem; but I have
also never had an unreefed main out in wind like that. Any tips for this
one? (I mean, other than "Learn to sail")

I'll repeat what others have said: have the centerboard up at least
half way so the boat doesn't "trip" over it (broach) and be going fast
so the relative wind is low.

To increase speed before jibing you might try heading up slightly
before bearing off for the jibe. The boat will pick up a little speed
with the wind, say, 20 degrees or so off the stern before you start
the jibe. To keep speed up through the jibe, continue the turn as the
boat jibes until the wind is 20 degrees off the stern on the opposite
side from when you started the jibe. Finally, return to your downwind
course. This manoeuver is best done "smartly" - - - quickly, but not
in haste, if you take my meaning.

If you fear for your rig (or life!) you can always just tack around to
the opposite jibe. (I know this as a "Chinese jib" but I'm sure
that's politically incorrect.)

Finally, when I was just trying to sail straight, I was pretty much hiked
out as far as I could go. What do you do in that situation with an even
stronger wind gust? Without the jib, I steer a bit into the wind; with the
jib all I can think to do it let the main out to shed wind. Is there
anything better?

The way to work to windward is to come up in the puffs so you're doing
the right thing. Coming up is first priority, easing the main second.
(There may be nanoseconds between the two actions if you feel you're
going to capsize!)

Thanks much.

Let me emphasize what someone said about wearing a life jacket and add
that practicing capsize recovery is time well spent. Practice in
light air first.

Also, if you find yourself in the water after righting the boat and
find it difficult to get back aboard, think about a way to do this. I
tried an oddball thing once and it worked for me. I ran a line from
the base of the mast all the way aft and over the stern into the
water. I tied a foot loop about two feet under water and another loop
to grab onto a couple of feet forward of the transom to help pull
myself aboard and keep my foot and leg from going horizontal under the
boat if I just tried to stand up in the foot loop.

TomT