Theron Hicks

Default Why So Few Pontoon Boat Ads?

Jay,
Here is my guess...
Pontoon boats are typically not trailer boats. (I know this is changing,
but it has been the case until recently.) Therfore they are much more
limited to people with waterfront property or access. Anyone can buy a
trailer boat and keep it in the driveway, etc. As a result, there are far
more trailer boats than pontoon boats.

My first pontoon boat was 30+ years old (~1968 vintage). It did not have
any leak problems when I bought it. It did not have any furniture, etc. I
finally replaced it beause of the deck going bad, some welds starting to
break, and cable and pully steering. Still not unrepaired leaks. (I have a
concrete sea wall that it got up against.)

The next boat was about 10 years newer. Still no furniture, but newer
steering. (BTW, for my purposes no furniture was ideal. Cheaper, need not
be covered, and never in the way for fishing.) Also, I got a better motor
at the same time.

Theron

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I am reading two free boats-shopper magazines that have many many ads
for various styles of boats. But they only have a very small number of
ads for pontoon boats. What does this means?

- Does this mean that pontoon boats are not popular? If this is so, I
need to think twice before buying a pontoon boat (I enjoy riding on
one though).

- Does this mean that pontoon boat owners love their boats so much
that they will not part with their pontoon boats? I doubt this but I
ask anyway.

- Does this have something to do with the possible naturnal
progression of owning a boat: When someone buys a boat, he may start
with a small one first. After a while, he sells it and buy a bigger
one. Gradually, he keeps spending money in trading up to bigger and
bigger boat. He finds that he is low in fund, and has to sell his big
boat. That may explain the reason why there are so many ads for
non-pontoon boats. On the other hand, pontoon boats have very limited
choices in sizes. Regardless how big it is, we still cannot use it
off-shore. A 18-ft pontoon boat probably is just as good as a 24-ft
one. Therefore, people don't tend to trade it up. This is just a
guess.

- Am I reading the wrong boats-shopper magazines?

- Any other possible reason?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan