Kenneth McClelland

Thanks all for your input. I do have some woodworking experience and pretty
good patience for long projects but I'm starting to think - what the heck,
build a S&G first - more boats = more fun. Fortunately I have the storage
space for more than one and I might even talk my wife into coming kayaking
with me if I have a spare boat around. If not my son will eventually grow
into it.

Thanks All

--
KENNETH MCCLELLAND
"John R Weiss" wrote in message
You don't indicate your experience level, but I don't know that you want

tackle a stripper as a first boatbuilding project. A stitch-n-glue boat

may be
a better starter project.

I'm not a woodworker or boatbuilder, so I chose to build a Pygmy Coho

kayak
(http://www.pygmyboats.com/) a few years ago. Among kit boats, Pygmy and
Chesapeake Light Craft probably have the largest following. The ultimate

choice
is strictly a personal decision, because both are excellent companies thta
design excellent boats. I have documented my project on
http://www.tsca.net/puget/coho1.htm. I am VERY pleased with the results,

in
both looks and performance. Mine took 135 hours over 6 months of

scattered
evenings and weekends.

Both Pygmy and CLC sell plans for some of their designs, if you would

rather
build from plans. If you live near one of thm, and can test-paddle a few

of
their finished boats, you may be able to make a better decision.

"Kenneth McClelland" wrote...
I'm thinking real hard about a winter project and building a Kayak is

very
high on that list. Has anyone here taken on that project -- and how did

it
turn out, with who's design?

I'm looking here http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/ specifically at the Cape

Ann
series. I'm leaning to the HV or the Expedition (I'm big and need a

sizable
boat). Anyone have any working knowledge of these designs? Any input

would be
very much appreciated before I invest in plans or start building. If

not, does
anyone have a suggestion for a building group that I may pose some

questions
to.