Darryl Johnson

Bennet George wrote in :

In article . net,
says...

Start with a simple stitch-and-glue model. Then work into
something more complex. You'll be glad you did.

I agree. I am about half way through a stripper which is my first
homebuilt kayak. I started last Christmas, thinking it was going
to be a winter project. I have a well-equipped shop and am not a
complete novice woodworker. I am amazed at how long this is taking
and how uncraftsmanlike the results. I'm thinking now this may be
a practice boat which will be burned before letting anyone see it.
I wish I had started with a stitch and glue boat. I'd have been
on the water with it this summer.

Bennet

Results can vary. My friend decided he was interested in building a
stripper and completed his in about 250 hours -- which included doing
his own bead and cove router work on the strips. The finshed boat is
a beauty: we tease him about him boat being "guy bait" because
inevitably men come up and start chatting with him about his boat
whenever we're at campsite or put-ins.

He had some woodworking experience, having done a fair bit of
carpentry work around the house, but he was not a "pro". It was his
first boat. He started with only a set of plans and a lot of time
browsing the web looking at kayak building sites.

He's now talking about building a 25' sailboat. But first he needs to
build a garage big enough and we're all betting that his wife will
have something to say about THAT!

--
Darryl