Howard Berkowitz

Default Italy furious- Navy cover(-ed) up sub accident

In article ,
(BlackBeard) wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message news:
The article says the Navy fired the men in charge. I suspect that if
they
considered this a minor incident, they would've debriefed and then
quietly
shuffled the men off to a different assignment, in much the same way
priests
are sent to another parish by the Catholic church.

Incorrect. In the US Navy (and especially the Sub Service) if you
ground your ship, you lose your command. The language used by the
yellow journalists does not denote any change in policy. They could
have said 'relieved of his command' instead of 'immediatly fired'.
Doesn't make any difference. I know of an incident where a US Sub hit
an uncharted mountain. CO still lost his command even though there
was no way he could have known the mountain was there.

Fellow named Nimitz, though...