Gary Warner

First, some definitions:

CCA is "Cold Cranking Amp". It is the number of amps that a

new battery can deliver for 30 seconds at ZERO degrees Fahrenheit

without dropping below a prespedified voltage (usually 10.5 or 7.2

volts).

In boat batteries you may also see a MCA which is a Marine Cranking

Amp rating. This is the same definition as CCA except it's tested/measured

at 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

The higher the CCA rating the more "oooomph" the battery has to

turn over your engine. It will likely be bigger and heavier too. Unless

you have specific manufacturer reccomendation, picking the proper

rating is somewhat subjective. You want something powerful enough

to turn your engine over but you don't want a battery heavier

or more costly then you need.

I had batteries in the 500 or 550 range for my outboard mercury 115

horsepower. They worked fine. Though I did have TWO batteries

I used them only one at a time (on an A/B/ALL switch). I also use

a pair of 550's on my 130 Horsepower inboard.

So anyway, I'd like to get a new battery and just keep this current one

for
my electronics...

That's a decent idea. But you have to think about how to connect them
so that they both get charged when the eninge is running yet don't
so they are seperated when you want them to be.

Is getting a fully sealed battery worth the extra $100+??

I personally don't think so - not for a small boat. There are
uses where the gel or glass mat (AGM) batteries are worth
the money - but probably not on a small boat.

Another question, I just got a little portable emergency jump starter

which
says it can do 600Amps, 900Amps peak. Is this too weak to give my current
battery a boost? How much does a motor of this age normally draw??

I love thost little "batterie buddies." 600 or 900 amps should be a great
boost
for starting your boat. So long as this item is for unusual circumstances
and not
used to start the boat all the time.

Batteries can also be "Starting Bateries" or "Dual Purpose" or "House/Deep
Cell".
House/DeepCell is for running all the electronics and clearly not what you
need. If
you are only going to use this new battery for starting then fine. But you
might also
consider a Dual Purpose. It is good for starting but can also withstand some
of the continuous draw when running a few electronics (depth finder, radio,
small lights).

Good Luck,
Gary