Paul Schilter

Default Composite stringer grids

Chuck,
Okay then why the concern over rotted wood in the stringer? I would
imagine that the water got in through a poor job of sealing the wooden
stringer, so why not seal it up and not worry about it? But does an older
boat like an 89 Sea Ray depend on the wood for its strength or the
fiberglass coating? I know a fellow that had his boat (88 Sea Ray 300
Weekender) out of the water for three seasons while he dried out his
stringers and checked for moisture with a meter. I think he then bored some
holes in the stringer and filled with epoxy. Was he wasting his time? His
complaint was that Sea Ray drilled limber holes through the stringers and
didn't seal the limber holes causing the water absorption. I'm just trying
to determine how wide and important of a problem is this.
Paul

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
If your stringer is relying on the wood core for strength, it's poorly

built.

The wood core, foam core, Cheez Whiz core or whatever has served its

purpose
when it has functioned as a form for the layers of glass and resin that

follow.
A well engineered stringer can be completely hollow, just like a box beam,

and
have more than sufficient strength.