Paul Schilter

Default Composite stringer grids

Wally,
Okay, but were the Silverton's stringers wood core or foam?
Paul

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On 18 Nov 2003 21:18:00 GMT, (Rich Stern) wrote:

Many manufacturers are touting "no wood/no rot" construction, and some

are
using a composite grid system (fiberglass over some type of foam) to

replace
traditional hull stringers and forms. Several bay boats I am interested

in use
this type of construction. Of course, from a marketing perspective, it

sounds
great. But I'd be interested in some real world opinions. Is such a

boat less
prone to flex? Does it result in a more solid boat? Are there other

problems
to be aware of? Any pre-purchase inspections that can be accomplished,
assuming it's even possible to see the below-deck structure?

Comments appreciated.

My 30ft 1989 Tollycraft has foamed stringers and it's solid as a rock.

My friend has a 1989 30ft Silverton and he replaced half the stringers
he could get to.

Your mileage will vary.