Ryk

On 28 Aug 2004 00:50:46 GMT, in message

(MLapla4120) wrote:

I'm going to re-power soon and am also going to get new shaft and prop.
It seems that in my boat class (Westsail 32), some people are going
to folding props to help speed under sail.
I'm for increased speed, but also want reliability. My current bronze
propeller is pitted and old. Every time I turn around and look at it, it
is full of sea growth. That makes me think I'm getting poor performance.
So, I'm for an improvement, but I am unsure of what kind.
Any opinions from boaters that have encountered this situation would be
appreciated.

I switched props on my Hughes 35 this summer, from a fairly broad
bladed 15x10 two blade fixed to a 15x10 two blade folding Gori (the
old one with the squarish blades). I managed to work a trade along
with a little cash, so it was a cheap upgrade.

On the plus side the boat is noticeably faster.

On the minus side, the narrower blades have less bite and I have lost
some top speed under power. The engine has plenty of power, enough to
spin the prop past the stall point.

I'm happy, but might consider another change for some increased
thrust.

If you know about other Westsail 32s who have switched, then you could
probably benefit from the details of their experiences to make sure
you get one of the right props.

Ryk