Sam

Yes they are! The pulley is turning clockwise.

Sam

"Kelton Joyner" wrote in message
news
Are the cooling fins on the pully turning in the correct direction to
cool the alternator?
krj

Sam wrote:
I have been struggling with alternator overheating for 3 months now. I
installed a Balmar 612-110 (new model) on my system (420Ah battery bank)

and
am experiencing overheating. Within minutes, I reach 230F, which is the
point at which my regulator reduces output by half (I have a temperature
controller installed on the alternator). Balmar is trying to help and

has
sent me 2 other alternators (another 612 and one 700 series), but they

all
overheat. Neiter I nor Balmar understands what is going on (they claim

they
tested the alternators before they shipped and they ran at full output

at
around 180F). My engine compartment is pretty tight, especially in front

of
the alternator there is the engine hatch. May be there is not enough air
flow. I checked everything else and it all looks correct.

I finally mounted a blower with tubing bringing cool air from the

outside
right to the back of the alternator. With that the alternator does not

go
into small engine mode (as I am blowing air on the temperature

sensor...)
but the face (front side) of the alternator reaches a temperature of

244F. I
wonder how long the alternator will last this way.

Temperature was measured using a thermocouple attached to the alternator
using thermal grease.

Any experiences? Any suggestions welcome.

Sam

"Craig Stuart" wrote in message
nk.net...

I have a Balmar alternator and when it is charging the temp of the
alternator is around 230 degrees. Is this normal ?

--
Craig & Marcia Stuart