DSK

Default Backstay hydraulic tensioner

Daniel wrote:

Doug,
thankyou for your long reply. Following your advive I posted the picture in
the following link:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...99953239ZGLvQd

Thanks for the picture, I downloaded it so I could study it in detail.
Unfortunately I can't really give much further helpful advice.

The backstay adjusters does not maintain the tension and leaks slightly
around the rod and around the small pump cylinder. What I need is a
complete set of new seals and, probably, new stainless steel balls that act
as valves. My problem is: I don't know the exact size and kind (compound,
shape, etc.) of the seals and the size of the balls and such information
could be obtained from the original manufacturer.

But a local hydraulics shop should be able to give you a lot more detailed help.
From the picture, I couldn't tell if the problem was corrosion or mis-sized
seals.

Just to anticipate a possible question: finding the size of the seals is
actually possible by just measuring the pistons and the bores; what is more
complicate is a guess on the kind of seals and the size of the ball-valves.

If the surfaces have not been damaged, then it should be possible to get the
thing working again. The ball valves and springs are very important (you already
knew that) and a hydraulics shop should be the best bet. In fact they may be
able to grind out the valve seats to fit new ball valves.... buy a spare set
from them, if water gets into the hydraulic fluid (fairly common with these
things) then the springs go bad quickly.

Unfortunately the device appears to have been already "overhauled" by
personnel who substituted parts that clearly do not fit.

If you're lucky, the same person did not get a chance to work on your boats
electrical wiring!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King