Capt. Mooron

"John Cairns" wrote in message
m...
| Have no idea how fast a Nordica 30 is, don't recall seeing phrf #'s. Never
| attempted to do any reverse calculations, ie., how fast is a particular
boat
| based on it's phrf #, but I feel it is a useful tool when comparing boats
of
| similar length. BTW, more than one responder on the CR list told me they
| didn't consider their CR38 to be a fast boat, no one, including the lake
| sailors, claimed their boat would do 11 kts.

It's not supposed to be fast.... look at the stats on SailCalc. Never the
less I often have the boat exceeding her theoretical hull speed. I have
raced boats that are supossedly faster according to both phrf and hull speed
calcs.... unfortunately the realities of extraneous inputs on the vessel
can throw a spanner into the works and those supposedly faster boats are not
performing to their stated potential..

Now seriously... are you claiming that a 38 foot cutter with a full keel and
cut-away forefoot cannot achieve 11 knots of speed because her theoretical
hull speed is rated at 7.3?

The thing about the numbers is that they are general benches for estimation.
To state flat out that a vessel can not exceed her calculated hull speed is
erroneous. My 30 footer has attained speeds well in excess of her
theoretical hull speed.... 10+ knots over a nautical mile... mind you we
were flying all the laundry and the wind was dead astern at 36 kts gusting
to 42 kts. You've seen her hull shape John... surfing isn't an option
here.... she was pushing water hard with the bow biting down.!

CM