Bilgeman

dan.sherwin relates:

-have purchased a 46 ft. Viking Sportfish.. 1984 Detroit 892 Turbo Hull No.
ID

Both engines have been completely overhauled last spring and have apprx. 450
hours on them.. Boat performs well while underload at 1950 rpm it cruises at
20-21 knotts. At 2350 rpm boat can run 24-25 knotts. No load engines run
rpm up to 2650

After several months and various mechanics in Freeport,Texas,LaMarque,Texas,
Galveston,Texas I still have a problem with engine smoking diesel. Enjectors
have been calibrated and adjusted, but when boat is loaded with 900 gallons
diesel, 80 gallons of water, and 8 fisherman with supplies, we find the engines
smoke (both) while underway.. -

Bilge- Do you dose your tanks with biocide? The little buggies will do a pretty
nice job of goobering up your fuel system...your tanks are also 20 years old,
right?

Did any of the mechanics you brought the craft to "pop-test" the injectors? Or
did they just replace 'em without testing 'em?

Do you have a fuel oil purifier in your system?

Black smoke without excessive LO consumption has to be the result of
incomplete combustion.

Too much fuel, insufficient atomization, injector afterdribble, insufficient
compression, or insufficient air.

We have a 7 cylinder Sulzer RND two stroke, twin turbo slow speed, at about
14,000 bhp downstairs, unfortunately, Maersk built these ships with salt water
cooling,(never meant them to be in service past 20 years).

G'luck;

Mutiny is a Management Tool
Select Your Tattoo while Sober