Wayne.B

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:49:03 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:
My guess is that it is not electrical. I think your flex plate drive is
either loose or worn out. The alternator has bearings only on the outboard
end. The engine rear main bearing acts as the other armature bearing. This
mechanical connection is usually done through a flex plate which is bolted
to the engine flywheel and a splined hub drives the armature or rotor. To
check this, the alternator must be removed from the engine.

Thanks, your assessment of not being electrical jibes with my
observations. What would explain the intermittent nature of the
vibration given a more or less constant electrical load? Is the flex
plate a coupling with a rubber hub?