John Fereira

(William R. Watt) wrote in
:

William R. Watt ) writes:
I'd varnish the blades and oil the shaft. Protecting the edges with 3

Just to add that I oil the home made spruce spars for my sail boats
with a rag soaked in ordinary cooking oil (old jug of corn oil I
stopped using for cooking in favour of canola oil). This works fine. If
you don't want to buy special oils it would be fine for the shaft of
the paddle which is not in the water.

Obviously you've never actually paddled with a greenland paddle because, the
paddle shaft (to be more accurate, the loom) does spend a considerable
amount of time in the water when it's used as it was intended for braces,
rolling, and when in an extended paddle position.

A quart of boiled linseed oil runs about $7. A quart of mazola corn oil is
about $5.